SEEKING ADVISORY COUNCIL MEMBERS FOR THE NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS INSTITUTION, SAMOA
Pursuant to s 39 of the Ombudsman (Komesina o Sulufaiga) Act 2013 and the Paris Principles, which govern the work of National Human Rights Institutions (“NHRI”), the Ombudsman/NHRI (“Omb”) seeks applications or nominations in the pursuit of establishing an Advisory Council for the National Human Rights Institution (“ACNHRI”).
The Advisory Council will have a crucial role in assisting the Ombudsman’s Office to enlarge its awareness and observance of human rights in Samoa. The Advisory Council consists of a body of knowledgeable individuals, which is reflective of diverse constituent groups in Samoan society.
Individuals will be selected on the following criteria:
The Terms of Reference of the Advisory Council are the following:
1. The Council will have the following functions:
2. Membership on the Council is not a salaried position, however, sitting allowances will be provided.
3. The Advisory Council is not intended to be a forum for:
4. Council members will serve for a 3 year term, and may be re-appointed subject to satisfactory performance.
5. Council members are expected to be people:
6. The Advisory Council will meet every quarter, unless otherwise required by the Ombudsman.
7. Council members will forfeit membership if:
8. The meetings of the Advisory Council will be chaired by the Assistant Ombudsman, who will be assisted by one other staff member.
9. Minutes of the Advisory Council will be circulated to all staff and Council members following each meeting.
10. Two weeks before each Advisory Council meeting members must be circulated minutes of the previous meetings, the agenda for the next meeting and any other documents that require their consideration.
11. Council members will observe office policy on discretion and confidentiality with respect to all meetings, and any matters that arise in their role, including media and publicity.
If you have any queries please contact the Office of the Ombudsman on 253-94/233-17 or email on
for further information. To apply or nominate please send a CV and a cover letter outlining suitability for appointment to the Office of the Ombudsman, Level 5, Central Bank Building, or PO Box 3036, Apia, Samoa or by email. Applications must be received by 5p.m Wednesday 21 May 2014.Shortlisted applicants may be contacted for an interview.
Advisory Council seeks new members